I am trying to be diligent here ~ and really challenge myself to stay on track with all of the various projects I have running concurrently at the moment. And while I did, for a breather, set aside the dress I was working on for Amy, I forced myself to complete at least one small piece this weekend. It's not much, but I'm actually quite fond of it: a vest for Mr. Morse. It's not based on any special historical model; men's vests haven't changed too much over the last 100+ years. I did give him a somewhat old-fashioned wrap-around tie, and the fingerless gloves are particular to the character and not anything especially 19th-centuryish.
This was especially fun to do because I was basically experimenting with the embroidery on it and it actually came out exactly as I wanted it too: sort of shimmery (click the image to see it in more detail). Purple is a color I have a particular horror of ~ not for itself, I love purple! But painting with it has always been a nightmare of ugliness. This has given me some much-needed confidence.
So it's not much, but it's a good starter piece for the new year. I also like the way the black onyx rosary came out. Now I just have to make Mr. Morse some pants so he won't be wandering around in half-dress.
|19th Century Paper Dolls||